Frequently Asked Questions (Page 3)

What are the differences between the Customs routing types?
- Route 1: Customs want to look through the paperwork before clearance is granted
- Route 2: Customs have selected the shipment for physical examination of the goods
- Route 3: Customs will issue immediate clearance (once all duty and/or VAT has been paid, if applicable). However, Customs still require copies of the paperwork
- Route 6: Customs will issue immediate clearance (once all duty and/or VAT has been paid, if applicable).

How can I pay Import Duty and/or VAT to Customs?
Duty and VAT can be paid to Customs in many ways. Contact our Imports team for more details.

My VAT number was used when I imported some goods, how do I reclaim the VAT?
HM Revenue & Customs will issue you with a VAT certificate. If you have not received this, you can contact the National Customs Help line on: (T) 0845 010 9000 to obtain a duplicate.

I'm looking for a warehouse to store my goods once they arrive, can you offer this service?
There are two different types of bonded warehouse.

The first is called an E. R. T. S (Enhanced Remote Transit Shed). Goods can be removed from the port of arrival and stored for a short period whilst the goods are Customs cleared. Import Duty and/or VAT (if applicable) are payable before removal, and on the whole shipment. This is service offered by us (via Chatham Freight Station - Click here to view CFS website )

The second is just an authorized bonded warehouse. Issued with a Bonded Warehouse Number by Customs, these can store goods for longer period, allowing Import Duty and/or VAT (if applicable) to be paid, as and when parts of a shipment are removed.

Please note: Alcohol can only be stored at a specific type of bonded warehouse, known as a 'Wet Bond'.

FAQ Page3FAQ Page2FAQ Page1



Got some questions?  
Go to the FAQ page for all frequently asked questions and links to all relevant documentation.

Contact Us

ALL ENQUIRIES  T: 01634 731632
FAX T: 01634 731635